Friday 28 December 2012

How Do We Inspire Ourselves to Greatness?

I love this particular scene in the movie "Invictus". It has taught me so much about motivation and leadership. A good leader leads by example. A great leader leads by inspiring others. A good leader shows you the right things to do. A great leader inspires you to find the right things to do.


Nelson Mandela: Tell me, Francois. What is your philosophy on leadership? How do you inspire your team to do their best?

Francois Pienaar: By example. I've always thought to lead by example, sir.

Nelson Mandela: Well, that is right. That is exactly right. But how do we get them to be better then they think they CAN be? That is very difficult, I find. Inspiration, perhaps. How do we inspire ourselves to greatness when nothing less will do? How do we inspire everyone around us? I sometimes think it is by using the work of others. On Robben Island, when things got really bad, I found inspiration in a poem.

Francois Pienaar: A poem?

Nelson Mandela: A Victorian poem. Just words, but they helped me to stand when all I wanted to do was to lie down.

"We need inspiration, Francois. Because, in order to build our nation, we must all exceed our own expectations."

And this applies to other things in life as well, be it in your career or business venture. Truly amazing wisdom!

No comments:

Post a Comment