Tuesday 5 March 2013

You Are Not Your Body

It's amazing how sometimes one thing leads to another. If it wasn't for my pledge of learning something new to share on this blog, I wouldn't have chanced upon this inspiring and touching speech "You Are Not Your Body" by Janine Shepherd at TEDxKC.

It really amazes me how a person could actually still stand up and walk tall after suffering such a horrendous fall in life. And she did all that in just 18 months!
"Most people overestimate what they can do in one year and underestimate what they can do in ten years." ~ Bill Gates
Enjoy the video...


Inspirational quotes by Janine Shepherd, taken from her speech:
Life is about opportunities; creating them and embracing them.
Why would I want to go back to a body so broken, but this voice keep calling me, "Come on, stay with me."
How often in life do you get to make friendships judgement free, purely based on spirit?
And then I knew, like before, that I had a choice. I could keep fighting this, or I could let go and accept not only my body but also the circumstances of my life. And then I stopped asking "Why me?" but started to ask "Why not me?". And then I thought to myself, "Maybe being at rock bottom is actually the perfect place to start."
But then I knew for certain that although my body might be limited, it was my spirit that was unstoppable.
"When you let go of what you are, you become what you might be." ~ Lao Tzu
It wasn't till I let go of the life that I thought I should have, that I was be able to embrace the life that was waiting for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment