Saturday 2 March 2013

Are You Confused?


I remember since I was small, I have been taught moral values such as diligence, determination and courage - values which are crucial in helping us achieve what we want in life.

At the same time, I have also been taught moral values such as moderation, gratefulness and appreciativeness - values which are crucial in keeping us in check of our behaviours, and helping us secure the things which we have achieved in life.

But nowadays, I'm getting more and more confused with the behaviour of people.

Many people that I know, they contemplate achieving better things in life. So they would go out seeking for ways to achieve them. When they have finally found a way, they would put in their whole-hearted effort to work it out.

As we know, life is not a bed of roses. Everyone is bound to face challenges. The bigger the goal, the bigger the challenges. These challenges are designed by life to test our resolve. And that is when things get interesting with most people.

Lets call them the chasing pack - people who are going after their dreams and goals.

A minority of these people whom I know, they would persevere and get over the challenges, and eventually enjoy the taste of success. They are grateful for the challenges thrown at them, and thus are very appreciative of the things that they have attained. Mostly, they have also grown to be more humble and generous, because they understand that whatever they have achieved, they could not have done it alone. Many people have helped and encouraged them along the way.

On the other side of the spectrum, a majority of these people that I know, they would give in to the challenges, and eventually fail in their pursuit of the things that they contemplate on achieving. Some would blame their failures on life's circumstances. Some would lament their lack of luck. Some would indulge themselves in various "what-ifs". But most of them would end up consoling themselves by saying things like:
"Well, I should be happy with the things that I have now. Let's not be greedy."
"Moderation is a good virtue. I should live moderately and should not dream of the extraordinary."
"Chasing after  money is bad. It makes me forget about my principles. I should not be tempted by any desires or lust."
In my opinion, humans are born with the desire to achieve better things in life.

Babies desire to become better by learning how to crawl. Then they learn how to walk. As their legs become stronger, they learn how to run and chase after their friends. Along the journey, they would fall and cry. But that doesn't stop them from getting up every time they fall.

Imagine this. What would your response be when your children tell you:
"Mom, it's so hard to learn how to walk. I tried my very best but keep falling all the time and it really hurts. I think I'm just not meant to walk. After all, I still know how to crawl, and this should be enough to get me to the places that I want to go. Even if I can't walk, I can still crawl. I should be happy and thankful for that. Lets just forget about walking."
Would you call this as an act of contentment and moderation? Or would you consider this as an act of giving up?

My message here is simple: Most people do crave for better things in life, but they fear the obstacles and rejections. Don't try to mess up the good virtue of "contentment" with your giving up.

To me, the same words "I should be grateful for the things that I have now" bear two different meanings:
  • After you have fought hard and achieved your goals --> contentment
  • After you have given up your goals --> excuse
If you agree with me, please stop "endorsing" failures in the name of "contentment". Giving up is not a virtue to be encouraged.

No comments:

Post a Comment