Tuesday 11 March 2014

Don't Try

Most people want to be successful in life. But how many of them really become successful? Not many.

In my personal opinion, based on my own experience as well as observation of people around me, I believe that one of the major reasons people are not successful is that they have tried too hard to become successful.

Allow me to clarify. The problem here is not the word "too hard", but rather the word "try".

Let me give you 2 examples to illustrate my point.

Example #1
When you're going for lunch, do you say "I'm going to eat something" or "I'm going to try to eat something"?
Most of you would answer "I'm going to eat something." Why? Because you know you're definitely going to eat something, and there's no reason why you have to "try" to do so.
In this illustration, using the word "try" means that the person probably has a problem with eating (lack of appetite due to sickness or poor emotions), therefore he can only "try" to eat something. And if he fails to eat something, to him it's ok, because he has a reason for not being able to eat.
Example #2
During your wedding ceremony, when the minister asks to you "Do you take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife, to have and to hold, in sickness and in heath, in good times and woe, for richer or poorer, keeping yourself solely unto her for as long as you both shall live?", what will your answer be?
Do you say "I do" or "I'll try my very best"? I'm sure most of you who understand common sense would say "I do", because saying "I'll try my very best" would most likely result in a tight slap on your face from your bride.
In this illustration, using the word "try" means that the person is not certain that he's going to provide those things, and therefore can only "try" to do it. If he fails to do so, to him it's ok, because he has already long identified a reason for not being able to treat his wife well. 
From these 2 simple examples, we can see that when we use the word "try" in a sentence, we're actually sending a message to our brain and to others that we're not certain of doing something, and therefore, is not 100% committed to it. When we use the word "try", most likely we have also identified an excuse that we can use to justify our failure to achieve something. When we use the word "try", there's an element of "giving up" in it.

Therefore, if you really really want to be successful in life, I would like to urge all of you to drop the word "try" from your daily vocabulary. It's either going to be done, or not going to be done; there's nothing in between called "try".

If you want to be happy, don't "try" to be happy, just BE happy. Smile, open up your heart and mind, think positive, help others, etc.

If you want to be successful, don't "try" to be successful, just BE successful. Work hard, read books, develop your skills, set goals and follow through, etc.

After all, if our mother said "I'm going to try to deliver this baby today", I don't think all of us will be around.

So...

If you want to be successful...

DON'T TRY, JUST BE!

No comments:

Post a Comment