Monday 31 March 2014

Breaking "Conventions"

In our daily communication, as well as in most literature, we would find some of these "conventions" when it comes to describing people:
Old and wise  vs.  young and naive
Old and weary  vs.  young and energetic

As I said, these are "conventions". But "conventions" are not necessary the true. "Conventions" are merely popular beliefs perceived as being true.

Let me explain my point:

#1 - Old and wise  vs.  young and naive

  • An old person who has lived 50 years of his life, living within his very own comfort zone not being willing to challenge his limits -- I can't see how a person can gain any form of wisdom by staying in his comfort zone.
  • Whereas, a young person who has lived 25 years of his life, everyday breaking his own boundaries and limits, getting through hard knocks, may even attain more wisdom than those who has lived 25 years longer.
  • Sorry to say, I have bumped into quite a lot of "senior" people whom I would rather describe as old and naive. And fortunately, I have come across some "juniors" who are young and wise.
#2 - Old and weary  vs.  young and energetic
  • Unlike machines which get worn out over time, humans have the ability to regenerate their own body. Therefore, a person who has lived through the years with proper care and rehabilitation of his body may still be able to retain his youthfulness.
  • Whereas, a young person who doesn't take good care of his body may have suffered much more health issues than an old person.
  • I'm very fortunate to have known some old and energetic people in my life, inspired by their passion and enthusiasm towards life. And I feel so sorry for some of my peers, despite being of younger age, who appear to be young and weary, everyday showing a lack of energy in everything that they do.

Our age does not define our level of wisdom and energy. A senior person is not necessarily wise. A young person is not necessarily energetic.

I'm just trying to make a point here, as well as to remind people from being drawn into some of these "conventions".

No comments:

Post a Comment